Mysterious case of Missing Feature on Windows 2012 R2
One of the unique issue encountered was of missing “Windows Server Backup” features in “Add Roles and Features” . There are various reasons which may result to the situation however below are the steps to fix the issue which you may try to fix the issue for any other role or feature .
NOTE : All commands should be executed in elevated mode.
- D: \ drive is CD/DVD
- <FOLDER-NAME> : Folder created to mount the windows image. [I named it as NOC]
- Windows Server Backup was not listed in Features while using “Add/Remove Roles and Features” from Server Manager.
- Running wbadmin.exe gives error “Unsupported 16-Bit Application”.
- Installing Feature through PowerShell command gives error
- Checking Features available and installed using DISM does not show the feature [Command : Get-WindowsFeature]
Steps to fix the Issue :
- You will need Windows 2012 R2 ISO/DVD attached to the Machine.
You must need to know which index you are using . Dism /Get-WIMInfo /WimFile:D:\sources\install.wim
Based on the operating system installed you will have to select the index number. As in my case it was Standard so I selected number 2 .
- Mount the “Install.wim” to a folder . [Make it sure you have least 3-5 GB free space]
Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:D:\sources\install.wim /index:2 /MountDir:C:\NOC /ReadOnly
Once the image file is mounted you may navigate to the folder and can have access of the files.
- To verify if the feature is available in the install.wim of the mounted image
Dism /Image:C:\NOC /Get-Features
You may find the below mentioned as output in the list of available listed features.
Feature Name : WindowsServerBackup
State : Disabled
- Once verified that the feature’s binaries are available in the image of the mounted device/ISO. We may install the feature from there using the below mentioned command :
Dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:WindowsServerBackup /Source:C:\NOC\windows /LimitAccess
- On successful completion of the above DISM command , you will need to find the status of the Feature using below command :
Dism /online /Get-FeatureInfo /FeatureName:WindowsServerBackup
- Unmount the image which we used for troubleshooting purpose as best practise.
Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:C:\NOC /discard
Now you may verify the presence of feature/roles in Add/Remove Roles and Features via Server manager.
Happy Troubleshooting !!